Sunday, August 25, 2013

Horrible Firsts

This was the first Sunday I was back at church since we did the college drop-off. We've done this before with our older daughter... But today... Going to church without number 2 girl was torture.

Quite honestly, if one more person playfully said, "Hey, you empty nesters!" I was going to punch someone. And the rude comments...  whatcha doin' later? wink wink no kids around wink wink

Dude/Lady -- Really. Enough.

No, I went through the motions, prayed, led, greeted and smiled. And we then came home, exhausted. I was numb. My husband went to the hardware store after church because that's what he does when he wants to commune with universe. I sat in the sunshine, listened to the birds and wept.

Sunday evenings was "girl time." We would go for a latte or wander around a bookstore (never buy anything -- just read!) When it was cold, we would bake something and have hot chocolate parties. Or watch a cooking show. Or... sit and knit and talk. 

My husband watched football games (or basketball/baseball/golf) and it was perfect. 

Tonight... no one is home. My husband has a red eye flight to the West Coast for a business trip. The cats are following me around. And I am trying to do something productive... and failing miserably. 

The night is lasting forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon. I know you have something to say.